Jump To Navigation

Can Chapter 7 bankruptcy stop wage garnishment?

Wage garnishment can occur for many reasons, but it tends to only be enforced when a debtor has not repaid their debts and a number of efforts have been made to gain the owed payment. If you are subject to wage garnishment in the state of Washington, it is likely that you feel frustrated knowing that money is being taken out of your paycheck before you even receive it.

There are several potential ways to put a stop to wage garnishment, but the most common option is for debtors to file for bankruptcy. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to wage garnishment:

Can I stop wage garnishment without making a bankruptcy filing?

If you have recently received a wage garnishment judgment, you may be able to put a stop to it by challenging the judgment. For example, you may believe that the judgment is unfair or made in error. Alternatively, you could try to renegotiate the judgment or find a way to pay the debt in full.

How can bankruptcy stop wage garnishment?

When you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, an automatic stay comes into effect, meaning that creditors cannot take further action against you. This means that in most cases wage garnishment from creditors will stop. However, you may still be subject to wage garnishment for unpaid alimony or child support.

If you want to get relief from overwhelming debts and wage garnishment, an experienced bankruptcy attorney can explain your options. There are several bankruptcy chapters that can cater to different financial situations.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

Law Office of Ruth Nelson
7742 14th Avenue NW
Seattle, WA 98117
Phone: 206-633-2517
Map and Directions

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.